Transferable Skills Training
Doctoral researchers can participate in excellent soft skills course program offered by the Helmholtz Association.
Research Skills Development Course - 1st year doctoral researchers
The course is designed to address a number of development areas, such as personal effectiveness, team working, networking and communication skills. This will be achieved through:
- A safe, yet challenging course environment that will encourage participants to explore and identify the key elements of team working, networking, effective communication, planning, and project management.
- A balanced and structured programme of exercises and review sessions that will provide a variety of learning situations allowing participants to identify and take away relevant lessons.
- A range of group situations, where participants will be encouraged to share feedback with their peers on their overall effectiveness.
- A learning journal and course notebook, which will be offered to aid the learning process of participants in their own working environment.
- Encouragement to create an ongoing level of support from their learning groups that will enable continuing networking, coaching, and further group interactions.
Career and Leadership Course - 3rd year doctoral researchers
The aim of this course is to provide postgraduate research students with an opportunity to build their understanding, skills, and confidence in the key areas of career planning, career development, and the development of their leadership style. By the end of the course participants should:
- Have a clear understanding of the key elements of leadership.
- Feel empowered to be authentic in their leadership style.
- Have experienced a range of leadership styles through working with colleagues.
- Understand career planning and how to take ownership of the process.
- Have an understanding of the skills and competencies organisations require.
- Feel equipped to participate in selection processes.