Logo Helmholtz Zentrum München

Frequently Asked Questions

Please check that the answer to your question is not covered below before you contact us.

Am I eligible to apply for the PhD Program of the International Helmholtz Research School for Diabetes?

You are eligible to apply for the International Helmholtz Reserach School for Diabetes when you fullfill the entry requirements.

Am I eligible to apply if I have not finished my Master's studies?

Applicants still studying for their degree may provide a provisional certificate or bona fide statement from the University, stating the examination marks already obtained.  You should receive your degree not later than 6 months after the application deadline.

When should I apply for the International Helmholtz Research School for Diabetes?

There is one application round each year. Please check the current deadline.

You may apply if you will finish your master's degree and be able to start your PhD 6 months after you have been accepted to the PhD program. In this case you may submit your transcript and provide us with your master's certificate after your graduation. Please upload a transcript or your master's exams that you have taken to date.

When can I start my PhD?

Candidates who are selected should plan to start their PhD 6 months after receiving their confirmation of acceptance.

Ist there a tuition fee?

There is no tuition fee and PhD students are financed throughout their PhD studies. You may be required to pay university fees of approximately 130 Euro per semester if you need to register with the university for your visa.

Do I have to register with a university?

If you are accepted as a PhD student of the International Helmholtz Research School for Diabetes, you have to register at the university where you will receive your doctoral degree within the first 3 months of starting your PhD. This is essential as your PhD is awarded by the university you registered with, not the Helmholtz Zentrum München.

What is the language to of the International Helmholtz Research School for Diabetes?

The language of the research school, research school office and in the laboratories is English. You may attend at courses and seminars as part of the PhD program, including German courses and scientific English courses, for free.

Do I need a proof of my English language skills?

To proof your English language skills a language test for English (TOEFL, IELTS, CAE) is required for all applicants except native English speakers from Australia, Canada, Ireland, UK and USA.

Do I need to take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) may be advantageous for your application but it is not mandatory.

Do I need a translation of my degree certificates?

Degree certificates must be officially translated either in English or German for your application.

Do I have to contact group leaders before sending my application?

Not all group leaders recruit through every selection. In case you are interested in working with them you might ask them whether they take applications.

What if I cannot upload my documents to the online system?

Please check that you have saved your file as a PDF document that does not exceed 3MB. If your file is in the wrong format or too large, you will have to modify it and then try to upload it again.

How do I create and combine PdF documents?

PC users may download a free version of PDF Creator. Within the "Help" section you will find a manual how to create and combine PDF documents.

Mac users should be able to create a pdf using the print command, choose "PDF" and save the file. Additionally, you may use Preview to combine PDF documents.

What if my referees have not received the e-mail asking them to submit a letter of recommendation?

Please ask your referee to check their spam folder. If they still do not have the e-mail, please ask them to send their letter of recommendation as a PDF document to the Research School Office by e-mail.

Please be reminded that you do not have to wait for your referees to submit their letters of recommendation before you submit your application. Please submit your application early to facilitate a fast review process.

Do I have to wait with submission of the online application until the referees submit their letters of recommendation?

NO - please be reminded that you do not have to wait for your referees to submit their letters of recommendation before you submit your application. Please submit your application early to facilitate a fast review process.

What if I have made a mistake in my online application?

If you have not yet submitted your application, you should be able to correct the mistake using the "edit" function.

In case you have made a mistake in the referee information or if you have already submitted your application, please send us an e-mail with the following information:

First name
Login e-mail address
Detailed description of your problem

How will my application be evaluated?

Applications will be evaluated within 4 weeks of the deadline. We will inform applicants immediately and invite successful candidates for the interviews.

May I apply for a second time?

If you have previously submitted an online application and were not invited for an interview, then you may re-apply. You will need to do the online application once again, including documents and letters of recommendation.

However, if you were invited for an interview, but were unable to obtain a position, you are not eligible to re-apply. Instead you may contact group leaders directly.

What is HELENA?

HELENA is the Helmholtz Graduate School Environmental Health, established at the Helmholtz Center Munich. The International Helmholtz Research School for Diabetes is part of HELENA, which means that every PhD student of the research school has to be member of HELENA and collect HEs (=Helena Equivalents) by attending seminars and courses.

Can I apply for a PhD position outside of the selection rounds?

If you would like to apply for a PhD position outside the selection rounds, we recommend that you get in contact with department heads or group leaders directly. You can find further information about research groups at the Helmholtz Diabetes Center on our website.

What if I do not have a certificate proving my English ability?

In case you do not have sufficient time to do a language test for English and your studies were not in English please provide a document from your university stating your English language abilities. Please be reminded that an official English test is highly advantageous.

If you did not find an answer to your question please contact us.